[Python-Dev] patch metadata - to use or not to use?

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Mon Nov 21 17:36:57 CET 2011

Hi,

> I recently got some patches accepted for inclusion in 3.3, and each time,
> the patch metadata (such as my name and my commit comment) were stripped by
> applying the patch manually, instead of hg importing it. This makes it
> clear in the history who eventually reviewed and applied the patch, but
> less visible who wrote it (except for the entry in Misc/NEWS).

We had a similar discussion on python-committers a while back, and the
gist of the replies was that there is no such thing as a patch ready for
commit, i.e. the core dev always edits something.  As Antoine said,
we’ve switched to Mercurial to ease contributions, but we still work
with patches, not directly with changesets.  That said, I remember that
once I got a patch that was complete, and I just used hg import and hg
push since it was so easy.  I share the opinion that putting
contributors’ names in the spotlight is a good way to encourage them.

Cheers