[Python-Dev] PyPy 1.7 - widening the sweet spot

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Nov 22 15:55:09 CET 2011

On Nov 22, 2011, at 02:15 PM, Stefan Behnel wrote:

>Well, Py3 still has a lot to catch up in terms of wide spread distribution
>compared to Py2.x, and new users will usually start using the most up to date
>release, which will soon be 3.3.
>
>Besides, 3.3 has received various optimisations that make it more suitable
>for production use than 3.2, including the above mentioned Unicode
>optimisations.

3.3 won't be released (according to PEP 398's current schedule) until August
of next year.  I think that's too long to wait before pushing for widespread
adoption of Python 3.

Hopefully, we're going to be making a dent in that in the next version of
Ubuntu.  We're actively starting to port a handful of desktop applications
(including their dependency stacks) to Python 3.2, which I think is a fine
release for doing so.  I owe a blog post about this, but please do contact me
if you want to get involved.

Cheers,
-Barry