[Python-Dev] Python 3.4 Release Manager

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 07:32:31 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Senthil Kumaran <senthil at uthcode.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org> wrote:
>> I've volunteered to be the Release Manager for Python 3.4.  The FLUFL has
>
> That's cool.  But just my thought, wouldn't it be better for someone
> who regularly commits, fixes bugs and feature requests be better for a
> RM role? Once a developer gets bored with those and wants more, could
> take up RM role. Is there anything wrong with this kind of thinking?

The main (thoroughly informal) criteria are having commit privileges,
having shown some evidence of "getting it" when it comes to the
release process and then actually putting your hand up to volunteer.

Most people who pass the second criterion seem to demonstrate this odd
reluctance to meet the third criterion ;)

There's probably a fourth criterion of the other devs not going "Arrg,
no, not *them*!", but, to my knowledge, that's never actually come
up...

I'm sure Larry will now be paying close attention as Georg shepherds
3.3 towards release next year, so it sounds like a perfectly
reasonable idea to me. +1

Cheers,
Nick.