[Python-Dev] Promoting Python 3 [was: PyPy 1.7 - widening the sweet spot]

Dirkjan Ochtman dirkjan at ochtman.nl
Wed Nov 23 14:19:24 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 13:21, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
>  > Problems like what?
>
> Like those I explained later in the post, which you cut.  But I'll

They were in a later post, I didn't cut them. :)

>  > Please create a connection to your distro by filing bugs as you
>  > encounter them?
>
> No, thank you.  File bugs, maybe, although most of the bugs I
> encounter in Gentoo are already in the database (often with multiple
> regressions going back a year or more), I could do a little more of
> that. (Response in the past has not been encouraging.) But I don't
> have time for distro politics.

I'm sorry for the lack of response in the past. I looked at Gentoo's
Bugzilla and didn't find any related bugs you reported or were CC'ed
on, can you name some of them?

> Is lack of Python 3-readiness considered a bug by Gentoo?

Definitely. Again, we are trying to hard to make things better, but
there's a lot to do and going through version bumps sometimes wins out
over addressing the hard problems. Be assured, though, that we're also
trying to make progress on the latter. If you're ever on IRC, come
hang out in #gentoo-python, where distro politics should be minimal
and the crew is generally friendly and responsive.

Cheers,

Dirkjan