[Python-Dev] PEP 380

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 05:06:43 CET 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> Mea culpa for not keeping track, but what's the status of PEP 380? I
> really want this in Python 3.3!

There are two relevant tracker issues (both with me for the moment).

The main tracker issue for PEP 380 is here: http://bugs.python.org/issue11682

That's really just missing the doc updates - I haven't had a chance to
look at Zbyszek's latest offering on that front, but it shouldn't be
far off being complete (the *text* in his previous docs patch actually
seemed reasonable - I mainly objected to way it was organised).

However, the PEP 380 test suite updates have a dependency on a new dis
module feature that provides an iterator over a structured description
of bytecode instructions: http://bugs.python.org/issue11816

I find Meador's suggestion to change the name of the new API to
something involving the word "instruction" appealing, so I plan to do
that, which will have a knock-on effect on the tests in the PEP 380
branch. However, even once I get that done, Raymond specifically said
he wanted to review the dis module patch before I check it in, so I
don't plan to commit it until he gives the OK (either because he
reviewed it, or because he decides he's OK with it going in without
his review and he can review and potentially update it in Mercurial
any time before 3.3 is released).

I currently plan to update my working branches for both of those on
the 3rd of December, so hopefully they'll be ready to go within the
next couple of weeks.

Cheers,
Nick.