[Python-Dev] PEP 380

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 05:39:45 CET 2011

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 8:14 AM, Michael Foord
<fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:

> On 24 Nov 2011, at 04:06, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>>> Mea culpa for not keeping track, but what's the status of PEP 380? I
>>> really want this in Python 3.3!
>>
>> There are two relevant tracker issues (both with me for the moment).
>>
>> The main tracker issue for PEP 380 is here: http://bugs.python.org/issue11682
>>
>> That's really just missing the doc updates - I haven't had a chance to
>> look at Zbyszek's latest offering on that front, but it shouldn't be
>> far off being complete (the *text* in his previous docs patch actually
>> seemed reasonable - I mainly objected to way it was organised).
>>
>> However, the PEP 380 test suite updates have a dependency on a new dis
>> module feature that provides an iterator over a structured description
>> of bytecode instructions: http://bugs.python.org/issue11816
>

> Is it necessary to test parts of PEP 380 through bytecode structures rather than semantics? Those tests aren't going to be usable by other implementations.

The affected tests aren't testing the PEP 380 semantics, they're
specifically testing CPython's bytecode generation for yield from
expressions and disassembly of same. Just because they aren't of any
interest to other implementations doesn't mean *we* don't need them :)

There are plenty of behavioural tests to go along with the bytecode
specific ones, and those *will* be useful to other implementations.

Cheers,
Nick.