[Python-Dev] ImportError: No module named multiarray (is back)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 01:28:33 CET 2011

2011/11/27 Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek at in.waw.pl>:
> I guess that it would be useful to have an option to turn off those sys.path
> manipulations.

Yeah, I recently proposed exactly that (a '--nopath0' option) in
http://bugs.python.org/issue13475 (that issue also proposes a
"-p/--path0" option to *override* the automatic initialisation of
sys.path[0] with a different value). I may still make this general
question part of the proposals in PEP 395, though, since it's fairly
closely related to many of the issues already discussed by that PEP
and is something that will need to be thought out fairly well to make
sure it achieves the objective of avoiding cross-user interference.

There are limits to what we can do by default due to backwards
compatibility concerns, but it should at least be possible to provide
better tools to help manage the problem.

Cheers,
Nick.