[Python-Dev] Deprecation policy

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Nov 28 15:33:50 CET 2011

On 28/11/2011 13:36, Petri Lehtinen wrote:
> Raymond Hettinger wrote:
>> How about we agree that actually removing things is usually bad for users.
>> It will be best if the core devs had a strong aversion to removal.
>> Instead, it is best to mark APIs as obsolete with a recommendation to use
>> something else instead.
>>
>> There is rarely a need to actually remove support for something in
>> the standard library.
>>
>> That may serve a notion of tidyness or somesuch but in reality it is
>> a PITA for users making it more difficult to upgrade python versions
>> and making it more difficult to use published recipes.
> I'm strongly against breaking backwards compatiblity between minor
> versions (e.g. 3.2 and 3.3). If something is removed in this manner,
> the transition period should at least be very, very long.

We tend to see 3.2 -> 3.3 as a "major version" increment, but that's
just Python's terminology.

Nonetheless, our usual deprecation policy has been a *minimum* of
deprecated for two releases and removed in a third (if at all) - which
is about five years from deprecation to removal given our normal release
rate.

The water is muddied by Python 3, where we may deprecate something in
Python 3.1 and remove in 3.3 (hypothetically) - but users may go
straight from Python 2.7 to 3.3 and skip the deprecation period
altogether... So we should be extra conservative about removals in
Python 3 (for the moment at least).

> To me, deprecating an API means "this code will not get new features
> and possibly not even (big) fixes". It's important for the long term
> health of a project to be able to deprecate and eventually remove code
> that is no longer maintained.

The issue is that deprecated code can still be a maintenance burden.
Keeping deprecated APIs around can require effort just to keep them
working and may actively *prevent* other changes / improvements.

All the best,

Michael Foord