[Python-Dev] RFC: Add a new builtin strarray type to Python?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sat Oct 1 22:21:01 CEST 2011

On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 22:06:11 +0200
Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at haypocalc.com> wrote:

> > I'm writing this email to ask you if this type solves a real issue, or if
> > we can just prove the super-fast str.join(list of str).
>
> Hum, it looks like "What is the most efficient string concatenation method in
> python?" in a frequently asked question. There is a recent thread on python-
> ideas mailing list:

So, since people are confused at the number of possible options, you
propose to add a new option and therefore increase the confusion?

I don't understand why StringIO couldn't simply be optimized a little
more, if it needs to.
Or, if straightforward string concatenation really needs to be fast,
then str + str should be optimized (like it used to be).

Regards

Antoine.