[Python-Dev] RFC: Add a new builtin strarray type to Python?

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Sat Oct 1 23:36:01 CEST 2011

On 10/01/2011 09:06 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
> Another alternative is a "string-join" object. It is discussed (and
> implemented) in the following issue, and PyPy has also an optional
> implementation:
>
> http://bugs.python.org/issue1569040
> http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/interpreter-optimizations.html#string-
> join-objects

Yes, actually I was planning on trying to revive my "lazy string
concatenation" patch once PEP 393 landed.  As I recall it, the major
roadblock to the patch's acceptance was that it changed the semantics of
PyString_AS_STRING().  With the patch applied, PyString_AS_STRING()
could now fail and return NULL under low-memory conditions.  This meant
a major change to the C API and would have required an audit of 400+
call sites inside CPython alone.  I haven't studied PEP 393 yet, but
Martin tells me PyUnicode_READY would be a good place to render the lazy
string.

Give me a week or two and I should be able to get it together,

/larry/