[Python-Dev] RFC: Add a new builtin strarray type to Python?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Oct 2 18:44:50 CEST 2011

Antoine Pitrou writes:

 > I'm not sure why "StringStream" or "StringBuffer" would be more
 > discoverable, unless you're coming from a language where these names are
 > well-known.

I think they are, but it doesn't really matter, since both are a bit
lame, and I doubt either is sufficiently suggestive to be worth
changing the name of the module, or even providing an alias.  I wish I
had a better name to offer, that's all.

 > I personally like the relative tersity of "StringIO".

The issue is not that I *dislike* the name; I *personally* like the
name fine.  It's that it's definitely not doing anything to reduce the
frequency of the "efficient string concatenation" FAQ.