[Python-Dev] cpython: PyUnicode_FromKindAndData() raises a ValueError if the kind is unknown

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Oct 3 23:38:01 CEST 2011

On 10/3/2011 12:23 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

>> Also, could I remind you that a better commit message is probably
>> "make PyUnicode_FromKindAndData raise a ValueError if the kind is
>> unknown".
>
> I think this is asking too much. If we really want correct English
> in all commit messages, we need to employ an editor who edits all
> commit messages from non-native speakers.

Some months ago we discussed the fact that 'x does y' is ambiguous in
commit messages because a) it could describe behavior 'now' either
before or after the patch and b) it has been used by developers *both*
ways. On the tracker, especially in titles, it routinely describes
behavior 'now' before the patch. 'Make x do y' is not much of a change.
Guido approved of such clarification.

Personnally, *I* know what Victor means as I believe he is consistent.
But a new person might not. On the other hand, I do not want to
discourage Victor from the great work he is doing.

Since both forms are correct English, I have not thought of this as a
native versus non-native issue. But I could imagine that the translation
into X might be less ambiguous to a native speaker of X.

Is it both technically possible (with hg) and socially permissible (with
us) to edit another's commit message?

--
Terry Jan Reedy