[Python-Dev] cpython: PyUnicode_FromKindAndData() raises a ValueError if the kind is unknown

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Oct 4 04:59:17 CEST 2011

"Martin v. Löwis" writes:
 [Terry Reedy wrote:]

 > > Is it both technically possible (with hg) and socially permissible (with
 > > us) to edit another's commit message?
 >
 > It's not technically possible,

Currently, in hg.  git has a mechanism for adding notes which are
automatically displayed along with the original commit message, and
bzr is considering introducing such a mechanism.  I'm not familiar
with the hg dev process (I use hg a lot, but so far it Just Works for
me :), but I would imagine they will move in that direction as well.

 > but it would be socially permissible to fix spelling mistakes.

The notes mechanism is not useful for fixing spelling mistakes unless
they make the message unintelligible, but I suppose it might expand
the range of socially permissible additions.