[Python-Dev] Bring new features to older python versions

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Oct 9 06:09:58 CEST 2011

On 10/8/2011 12:57 PM, Giampaolo Rodolà wrote:

> I have a couple of doubts about this though.
> The first one is about licensing.

Other have answered -- follow the license in giving credit, etc.

> My second doubt is about morality.
> Although this might be useful to those people who are forced to use
> older python versions, on the other hand it might represent an
> incentive for not upgrading (and there will be python 3.X features as
> well).
> Or maybe it won't, I don't know, point is I feel kind of guilty. =)
>
> I'd like to hear your opinions, especially about the second point.

While I would personally prefer that everyone else upgrade, I never
expected that and I consider it a feature that one does not have to. The
only thing that has really bothered me is people spreading FUD about
Python 3, and that has mostly ended. Just be accurate in promoting your
package. It will backport some newer stdlib features, but it will not
remove old cruft, fix bugs, add other new features, or include doc
improvements.

--
Terry Jan Reedy