[Python-Dev] Packaging and binary distributions for Python 3.3

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Oct 10 05:11:41 CEST 2011

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> As regards the format, bdist_dumb is about the right level - but
> having just checked it has some problems (which if I recall, have been
> known for some time, and are why bdist_dumb doesn't get used).
> Specifically, bdist_dumb puts the location of site-packages ON THE
> BUILD SYSTEM into the archive, making it useless for direct unzipping
> on a target system which has Python installed somewhere else.

I don't know about the case for packaging/distutils2, but I know that in
original distutils, you can work around this by making bdist_dumb call the
install commands with different arguments.  That is, it's a relatively
shallow flaw in bdist_dumb.

bdist_wininst, for example, is basically a zipped bdist_dumb with altered
install arguments and an .exe header tacked on the front.  (Along with a
little extra data crammed in between the two.)