[Python-Dev] Packaging and binary distributions for Python 3.3

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 13:47:26 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd propose that the install arguments used in bdist_wininst be
> transferred to bdist_dumb (or a new command bdist_binary created based
> on the same)

bdist_zip, bdist_archive, bdist_simple would all work (bdist_binary is
redundant, given what the 'b' stands for).

The 'bdist_dumb' name has always irritated me, since the connotations
more strongly favour 'stupid' than they do 'simple' (of course, a
legitimate argument can be made that the default behaviour of
bdist_dumb *is* pretty stupid).

> If this is useful, I could look at creating a patch. (Once I get my
> build environment fixed so I can get 3.3 up and running - it looks
> like Python 3.3 can't be built with Visual C++ Express these days, the
> IDE can't convert the solution files because Express Edition doesn't
> support 64-bit. I'll have to fish out the full version and install
> that...)

IIRC, even the Express edition should still work once the 64 bit
Platform SDK is installed. Regardless, the intent is that it should be
possible to build Python with only the free tools from MS. If they
broke the Express editions such that extra tools are needed, suggested
updates to the devguide [1] would be appreciated.

[1] http://docs.python.org/devguide/setup.html#windows

Cheers,
Nick.