[Python-Dev] Packaging and binary distributions for Python 3.3

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 11 09:59:45 CEST 2011

Paul Moore <p.f.moore <at> gmail.com> writes:

> To summarise, then:
>
> 1. By using setup.cfg technology, it would be easy enough to zip up a
> binary build in a way that pysetup could unpack and install.
>    1a. A packaging command to build such an archive would be worth providing.
> 2. A GUI installer would still be valuable for many people
>    2a. Having the GUI work by doing a pysetup install passing the
> installer exe (which would have a zipfile as noted in 1 above
> appended) could make sense to avoid duplicating work.
>    2b. The GUI could do the extra needed to integrate with the OS,
> which pysetup wouldn't do
>    2c. There's a question over a GUI install followed by a pysetup
> uninstall, which wouldn't remove the add/remove entry...
> 3. Ideally, the GUI should co-operate with venvs, by offering some
> form of browse facility. The command line does this automatically.
>
> I'll do some research into setup.cfg capabilities and do some proof of
> concept work to see how all this would work.
>
> Does the above make sense?

To me it does, and it would be useful to have some validation from the packaging
folks.

I looked at the dialog resources for wininst-x.y.exe and noticed that there is a
"Find other ..." button which is hidden, and its handler (in
PC\bdist_wininst\install.c) is commented out. However, the code called by the
handler - GetOtherPythonVersion - is still there. Does anyone here know why the
button has been made unavailable?

Regards,

Vinay Sajip