[Python-Dev] Packaging and binary distributions for Python 3.3

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 10:04:05 CEST 2011

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 4:42 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wish I felt more comfortable with MSI as a format (as opposed to an
> opaque clickable installer). I'd be interested to know what others
> think.

Compilation can be a problem on Linux systems as well, so a platform
neutral format is a better idea. Just have a mechanism that allows
pysetup to create a bdist_msi from a bdist_simple. Similar, bdist_rpm
and bdist_deb plugins could be taught to interpret bdist_simple.

However, you do get into architecture problems (x86 vs x86_64 vs ARM)
if you go that route.

Cheers,
Nick.