[Python-Dev] memcmp performance

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Oct 23 23:44:05 CEST 2011

> I am still rooting for -fno-builtin-memcmp in both Python 2.7 and 3.3 ...
> (after we put memcmp in unicode_compare)

-1. We shouldn't do anything about this. Python has the tradition of not
working around platform bugs, except if the work-arounds are necessary
to make something work at all - i.e. in particular not for performance
issues.

If this is a serious problem, then platform vendors need to look into
it (CPU vendor, compiler vendor, OS vendor). If they don't act, it's
probably not a serious problem.

In the specific case, I don't think it's a problem at all. It's not
that memcmp is slow with the builtin version - it's just not as fast
as it could be. Adding a compiler option would put a maintenance burden
on Python - we already have way too many compiler options in
configure.in, and there is no good procedure to ever take them out
should they not be needed anymore.

Regards,
Martin