[Python-Dev] Modules of plat-* directories

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Oct 24 00:03:42 CEST 2011

>> So why remove them?
>
> Not worrying whether we should maintain these files or not would be a
> reason. Not worrying whether we should document them (or provide a
> better way to access these facilities) is another.

Don't worry whether, I tell you :-) Yes, we maintain them, and no,
we make no changes to them unless a user actually requests a change,
and no, we don't need to document them. I think there is a section
on undocumented modules somewhere; if you worry too much, just add
them there.

There is little point in documenting them, since what they contain
will vary from system to system. People should read the manual
of their operating system to find out what all the constants mean
(or perhaps the source code of their operating system in case the
constants are undocumented even by the system vendor - which many
of them are).

Regards,
Martin