[Python-Dev] Modules of plat-* directories

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Oct 25 20:13:29 CEST 2011

Am 24.10.2011 14:06, schrieb Victor Stinner:
> There are open issues related to plat-XXX.
>
> Le Lundi 24 Octobre 2011 00:03:42 Martin v. Löwis a écrit :
>> no, we make no changes to them unless a user actually requests a change
>
> Matthias Klose asked for socket SIO* constants in september 2006 (5 years
> ago).
> http://bugs.python.org/issue1565071
>
> I would prefer to see such constants in the socket module.

These are not mutually exclusive. You can regenerate IN.py and still
add the constants to the socket module.

> Thiemo Seufer noticed that "the linux2 platform definition is incorrect for
> several architectures, namely Alpha, PA-RISC(hppa), MIPS and SPARC." in
> september 2008 (3 years ago). He proposed to add a sublevel: Lib/plat-
> linux2/CDROM.py would become:
>
>  - Lib/plat-linux2-alpha/CDROM.py
>  - Lib/plat-linux2-hppa/CDROM.py
>  - Lib/plat-linux2-mips/CDROM.py,
>  - Lib/plat-linux2-sparc/CDROM.py
>  - (and a default for other platforms like Intel x86?)
>
> => http://bugs.python.org/issue3990
>
> I really don't like this idea (of adding the architecture in the directory
> name) :-p

Neither do I. In the specific case, I'd generate four versions of
CDROM.py (with differing names), and provide a CDROM.py that imports the
right one.

> IMO plat-XXX is wrong by design.

I disagree. It's limited, not wrong.

> It would be better if at least these files
> were regenerated at build, but Martin doesn't want to regenerate them. And
> there is still the problem of Mac OS X which embed 3 binarires for 3
> architectures in the same "FAT" file.

These are problems, but not necessarily issues. Even if some of the
values are incorrect, the values that are correct may still be useful.

Regards,
Martin