[Python-Dev] Emit a BytesWarning on bytes filenames on Windows

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Oct 30 02:31:20 CEST 2011

"Martin v. Löwis" writes:

 > > Therefore, as you imply, I think the solution to this issue is to start
 > > the process of deprecating the bytes version of the api in py3k with a
 > > view to removing it completely

 > That sounds all fine to me.

As quoted above, deprecation of the bytes version of the API sounds
fine to me, but isn't this going to run into the usual objections from
the "we need bytes for efficiency" crowd?  It's OK with me<wink> to
say "in this restricted area you must convert to Unicode", but is that
going to fly with that constituency?