[Python-Dev] Emit a BytesWarning on bytes filenames on Windows

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 09:45:26 CET 2011

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 6:00 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> As quoted above, deprecation of the bytes version of the API sounds
>> fine to me, but isn't this going to run into the usual objections from
>> the "we need bytes for efficiency" crowd?  It's OK with me<wink> to
>> say "in this restricted area you must convert to Unicode", but is that
>> going to fly with that constituency?
>
> I don't think this "we need bytes for efficiency" crowd actually exists.

I think that crowd does exist, but I've only ever seen them complain
about URLs and other wire protocols (where turnaround time can matter
a lot in terms of responsiveness of network applications for short
requests, and encode()/decode() cycles can really add up). Filesystem
access is dominated by I/O time, and there's often going to be some
encoding or decoding going anyway (since the app and the filesystem
have to get the data into a common format).

Cheers,
Nick.