[Python-Dev] draft PEP: virtual environments

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 30 13:35:20 CET 2011

Antoine Pitrou <solipsis <at> pitrou.net> writes:

> We already have Unix shell scripts and BAT files in the source tree.

Do we have a blessed location in the stdlib for data files in general? Although
we're talking in this instance about scripts, they're just data as far as the
venv module is concerned. While it's not uncommon for data which is included
with packages to be installed in the source tree for that package(e.g.
packaging's test data), I'm not sure what one would do with data which belongs
to a top-level module. At the moment it's in the source as a base64-encoded
string, but I'm not sure that's ideal - it's workable only because the data is
so small. I don't really want to add a Lib/scripts.zip adjacent to venv.py,
which venv accesses via os.path.dirname(__file__), because if every module did
this, it would be a tad untidy.

The other alternative would be to make venv a package with all its code in
venv/__init__.py and a scripts.zip adjacent to that. Does that seem like a
better solution? Can anyone suggest better alternatives? Sorry if this has come
up before and I've missed something obvious.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip