[Python-Dev] Emit a BytesWarning on bytes filenames on Windows

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Oct 31 05:28:17 CET 2011

On 10/30/2011 5:39 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:

> Terry J. Reedy is also concerned about backward compatibility (3.2 ->
> 3.3). Emiting a warning, disabled by default, is a softer solution :-)

The fact that Mark, Martin, and someone else, I believe, agree with you
that the bytes api is not useful at all in 3.x and should go away
reduces my concern. This fact does suggest that it is not worth changing
anything to make those APIs easier to use. Instead, better to encourage
people to not use those APIs in any 3.x code. Removal is ultimately, of
course, the hardest solution.

--
Terry Jan Reedy