[Python-Dev] PEP 393 Summer of Code Project

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Sep 2 05:59:01 CEST 2011

Tres Seaver writes:

 > FWIW, I was taught that Spanish had 30 letters in the alfabeto:  the
 > 'ñ', plus 'ch', 'll', and 'rr' were all considered distinct characters.

That was always a Castellano vs. Americano issue, IIRC.  As I wrote,
Mr. Gonzalez was Castellano.

I believe that the deprecation of the digraphs as separate letters
occurred as the telephone became widely used in Spain, and the
telephone company demanded an official proclamation from whatever
Ministry is responsible for culture that it was OK to treat the
digraphs as two letters (specifically, to collate them that way), so
that they could use the programs that came with the OS.

So this stuff is not merely variant by culture, but also by economics
and politics. :-/