[Python-Dev] Python 3 optimizations continued...

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Fri Sep 2 21:20:57 CEST 2011

Maciej Fijalkowski, 02.09.2011 20:42:
>> For a comparative real world benchmark I tested Martin von Loewis'
>> django port (there are not that many meaningful Python 3 real world
>> benchmarks) and got a speedup of 1.3 (without IIS). This is reasonably
>> well, US got a speedup of 1.35 on this benchmark. I just checked that
>> pypy-c-latest on 64 bit reports 1.5 (the pypy-c-jit-latest figures
>> seem to be not working currently or *really* fast...), but I cannot
>> tell directly how that relates to speedups (it just says "less is
>> better" and I did not quickly find an explanation).
>
> PyPy is ~12x faster on the django benchmark FYI

FYI, there's a recent thread up on the pypy ML where someone is complaining
about PyPy being substantially slower than CPython when running Django on
top of SQLite. Also note that PyPy doesn't implement Py3 yet, so the
benchmark results are not comparable anyway.

As usual, benchmark results depend on what you do in your benchmarks.

Stefan