[Python-Dev] PEP 393 Summer of Code Project

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Sep 3 01:46:58 CEST 2011

Terry Reedy wrote:

> While it has apparently been criticized as 'conservative' (which is well
> ought to be), it has been rather progressive in promoting changes such
> as 'ph' to 'f' (fisica, fone) and dropping silent 'p' in leading 'psi'
> (sicologia) and silent 's' in leading 'sci' (ciencia).

I find it curious that pronunciation always seems to take
precedence over spelling in campaigns like this. Nowadays,
especially with the internet increasingly taking over from
personal interaction, we probably see words written a lot
more often than we hear them spoken. Why shouldn't we
change the pronunciation to match the spelling rather than
the other way around?

--
Greg