[Python-Dev] Packaging in Python 2 anyone ?

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Sep 13 18:34:39 CEST 2011

On 13/09/2011 16:57, Éric Araujo wrote:
> [snip...]
> A question: What about distutils2 for Python 3.x?  I think we could keep
> the stdlib codebase compatible with 3.1 and use a semi-automated process
> to extract cpython3.3/Lib/packaging to distutils2-py3/distutils2 and
> rename imports.  (IIRC PyPI will require us to play games to have both
> 2.x and 3.x versions of distutils2.)

What I'm doing for unittest2.

1) I have a script that pulls unittest from mercurial head and then
applies patches to it to make it compatible with Python 3.1 - 3.2 and
rename it from unittest to unittest2
2) I have a pypi project called unittestpy3k that holds the Python 3
version of unittest2

Projects using unittest2 for Python 3 then have a dependency on
unittest2py3k - but the actual Python package name is unittest2. I only
need to maintain a set of patches against unittest on head, rather than
a whole branch.

This works pretty well.

All the best,

Michael Foord