[Python-Dev] Packaging in Python 2 anyone ?

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Sep 15 20:31:52 CEST 2011

On 15/09/2011 17:23, Éric Araujo wrote:
> Le 13/09/2011 18:34, Michael Foord a écrit :
>> On 13/09/2011 16:57, Éric Araujo wrote:
>>> (IIRC PyPI will require us to play games to have both
>>> 2.x and 3.x versions of distutils2.)
>> What I'm doing for unittest2.
>> [...]
>> 2) I have a pypi project called unittestpy3k that holds the Python 3
>> version of unittest2
>>
>> Projects using unittest2 for Python 3 then have a dependency on
>> unittest2py3k - but the actual Python package name is unittest2.
> That’s what I call playing games.  I think it would make more sense to
> push 2.x-compatible and 3.x-compatible sdists to PyPI (with an
> appropriate 'Programming Language :: Python :: 2' or '3' classifier) and
> have the download tools be smart.

Hah, sure. In the meantime my way works *now* and with the existing
tools. :-)

(But only actually true for the way I make it available from pypi - the
rest of the technique is not "playing games", right?)

Yes, I would prefer to have a single project name with different
distributions for Python 2 and 3 (and I looked into it) - but with the
current tools the only way to achieve that is to put both versions into
a single distribution. This prevents you from versioning them separately
and is a pain to do anyway if the different versions are in different repos.

The current tools are a real pain for versioning anyway. If your pypi
page even *links* to a page that offers an alpha or beta (in development
version) for download then both pip and easy_install will fetch that, in
preference to the most recent version on pypi. So yes, I agree there is
room for improvement in the current tools. Hopefully distutils2 will fix
that. ;-)

All the best,

Michael Foord