[Python-Dev] Packaging in Python 2 anyone ?

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Wed Sep 21 18:50:25 CEST 2011

Hi,

I caught Tarek on IRC and forced him to answer my questions.  Here are
the latest news:

- I have cleaned up and synchronized the distutils2 codebase with
packaging in 3.3.  All features and bugs are now identical.  The test
suite runs with Python 2.4 to 2.7; there are three or four test failures
(linux, with threads, UCS4, not shared).  Please clone, build (we
backported hashlib for 2.4), test and file bugs!  We’ll make an alpha4
as soon as all tests pass.

- I have started work in a named branch to provide distutils2 for Python
3.1 and 3.2.  Patches will flow between packaging, distutils2 and
distutils2-py3.  I’ll start a discussion on catalog-sig to improve
support of parallel releases of 2.x and 3.x-compatible projects.

- The docs in the d2 repo will be removed; people will go to
docs.python.org and mentally convert packaging to distutils2.  I’ll
update the PyPI page.

Cheers