[Python-Dev] datetime module and pytz with dateutil

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Apr 1 23:29:27 CEST 2012

On 4/1/2012 9:16 AM, Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 21:20, Terry Reedy<tjreedy at udel.edu>  wrote:
>> The Windows installer, by default, installs tcl/tk while Python on other
>> systems uses the system install. Why can't we do the same for the Olson
>> database?
>
> The problem is that it needs updating.
> We could include pytz, but it would be useless on Windows, unless you
> also separately installs the Olson database. But including it and
> updating it is not Python's job and should not be.

My main point is that I (as a Windows's user) do not think that
difficulties with Windows should stop inclusion of a useful module. On
import, pytz should check for database accessibility and raise an
exception if not, and possibly refer to manual section on how to make it
accessible.

--
Terry Jan Reedy