[Python-Dev] .{git,bzr}ignore in cpython HG repo

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 04:24:27 CEST 2012

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Matěj Cepl <mcepl at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 1.4.2012 23:46, Brian Curtin wrote:
>>
>> For what reason? Are the git or bzr files causing issues on HG?
>

> No, but wrong .gitignore causes issues with git repo obtained via
> hg-fast-import. If it is meant as an intentional sabotage of using git (and
> bzr) for cpython, then that's the only explanation I can understand,
> otherwise it doesn't make sense to me why these files are in HG repository
> at all.

As Guido explained, the bzr and git ignore files are there to allow
Git and Bzr users to collaborate on them, updating a standard copy
when the .hgignore entries change (which doesn't happen very often).

If they get outdated (or otherwise contain erroneous entries), then
the appropriate response is to either update them directly (core
developers that use a different DVCS for their local workflow), or
raise a tracker issue pointing out they they have become stale
(everyone else that uses a different DVCS for their local workflow).

Regards,
Nick.