[Python-Dev] .{git,bzr}ignore in cpython HG repo

Scott Dial scott+python-dev at scottdial.com
Mon Apr 2 22:17:24 CEST 2012

On 4/2/2012 11:03 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 9:50 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
>> That said, these files will always be outdated, so we might as well
>> remove them so that at least git / bzr users don't get confused.
>
> Apologies for what may be a stupid suggestion, but is it possible to
> write a script that generates .gitignore and .bzrignore from
> .hgignore? That ought to solve the problem - take the former two out
> of the repository, and everyone who wants to use git or bzr can simply
> generate them on requirement.

In general, Hg's ignore files are more expressive (regex and globbing)
than Git's ignore files (globbing only). Our .hgignore file has regex
rules, but if someone was so inclined, they could expand those rules
based on their current HEAD.

I do not know if such a tool already exists in the wild.

--
Scott Dial
scott at scottdial.com