[Python-Dev] an alternative to embedding policy in PEP 418 (was: PEP 418: Add monotonic clock)

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Wed Apr 4 00:08:29 CEST 2012

Cameron Simpson wrote:
> get_clock already has two arguments - you can optionally hand it a clock
> list - that's used by monotonic_clock() and hires_clock().

def get_clock(*flags, *, clocklist=None):
     ''' Return a Clock based on the supplied `flags`.
         The returned clock shall have all the requested flags.
         If no clock matches, return None.
     '''
     wanted = 0
     for flag in flags:
         wanted |= flag
     if clocklist is None:
         clocklist = ALL_CLOCKS
     for clock in clocklist:
         if clock.flags & wanted == wanted:
             return clock.factory()
     return None

Would need to make *flags change to the other *_clock functions.

> Have a quick glance at:
>
>   https://bitbucket.org/cameron_simpson/css/src/tip/lib/python/cs/clockutils.py

Thanks.

> The return of None is very deliberate. I _want_ user specified fallback
> to be concise and easy. The example:
>
>   clock = get_clock(MONOTONIC|HIRES) or get_clock(MONOTONIC)

Which would become:

clock = get_clock(MONOTONIC, HIGHRES) or get_clock(MONOTONIC)

+1 to returning None

> Exceptions are all very well when there is just one thing to do: parse
> this or fail, divide this by that or fail. If fact they're the very
> image of "do this one thing or FAIL". They are not such a good match for do
> this thing or that thing or this other thing.
>
> When you want a simple linear cascade of choices, Python's short circuiting
> "or" operator is a very useful thing. Having an obsession with exceptions is
> IMO unhealthy.

Another +1.

~Ethan~