[Python-Dev] this is why we shouldn't call it a "monotonic clock" (was: PEP 418 is too divisive and confusing and should be postponed)

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Apr 6 10:37:33 CEST 2012

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> There seems to be a persistent desire in this discussion to specify and
> define these flaws out of existence, where this API really should instead be
> embracing the flaws and classifying them.

That seems to be precisely what Cameron is advocating.

> I think it's better to learn the local jargon and try to apply it
> consistently.  If you search around the web for the phrase "monotonic
> clock", it's applied in a sense closest to the one you mean on thousands and
> thousands of web pages.

But is "a sense" the *same* sense on all of those pages?  If not, then
some people are going to be upset by anything we label a "monotonic"
clock, because it will suffer from some flaw that's unacceptable in
their applications for "monotonic" clocks.