[Python-Dev] Pep 393 and debugging

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Apr 7 11:08:31 CEST 2012

> I wonder if there is a way to make this situation easier?  Perhaps for
> "debug" builds, we can store some debug information in the frame object,
> e.g. utf8 encoding of the filename and function?

I'd like to stress Benjamin's recommendation. Dave Malcolm's gdb
extensions (requires gdb with Python support) are really powerful; they
will automatically render PyObject* by displaying the actual logical
value (and not just for strings).

Failing that, I use _PyObject_Dump to display strings; this requires a
debugger that can call functions in the debuggee (like gdb).

Regards,
Martin