[Python-Dev] this is why we shouldn't call it a "monotonic clock" (was: PEP 418 is too divisive and confusing and should be postponed)

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Apr 8 12:42:27 CEST 2012

> | I made the same suggestion earlier but I don't know that anyone did
> | anything with it. :-( It would be nice to know what clock sleep() uses
> | on each of the major platforms.
>
> I saw it but didn't know what I could do with it, or even if it can be
> found out in any very general sense.
>
> Looking at nanosleep(2) on a recent Linux system says:

time.sleep() uses select(), not nanosleep().
select() is not specified to use a particular clock. However, since it
takes a timeout rather than a deadline, it would be reasonable for it
to use a non-adjustable clock :-)
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/select.html

Regards

Antoine.