[Python-Dev] Upgrading tcl/tk deps

martin at v.loewis.de martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Apr 9 23:49:10 CEST 2012

Zitat von Brian Curtin <brian at python.org>:

> Can someone let me in on the process to upgrade tcl and tk on
> svn.python.org? For the VS2010 port it looks like I need to upgrade
> since the 8.5.9 versions do not work. They use link options that choke
> on 2010. Taking 8.5.11, which is the current release, seems to work
> out alright so far.
>
> It seems as easy as downloading the tarball and checking that in. Am I
> missing any official process here?

Yes. There is a set of changes that you need to preserve. Tk *never*
works with any recent VC compilers, so even if you use a new version, you
still likely have to adjust the sources and the build process. Also, make
sure Tix works.

So there are two options:
a) adjust the existing sources to work with the new compiler. To do so,
    modify tk-8.5.9.x (or whatever we currently use), then tag your
modifications
    as tk-8.5.9.<next> (would be .1 AFAICT), then update Tools/buildbot and
    PCbuild/readme.txt to refer to these.
b) import new sources into tk-8.X.Y.x, then go through the changes in
tk-8.5.9.x,
    and port over what is still needed. Again, tag your imported tree so that
    the Python tree refers to the tag, allowing for modifications to Tk
    should they be necessary.

Switching to the most recent Tk release is a good idea, anyway, so b) is
preferred.

Regards,
Martin