[Python-Dev] [RFC] PEP 418: Add monotonic time, performance counter and process time functions

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 01:25:42 CEST 2012

> time.perf_counter()
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Performance counter with the highest available precision to measure a
> duration.  It does include time elapsed during sleep and is
> system-wide.  The reference point of the returned value is undefined,
> so that only the difference between the results of consecutive calls
> is valid and is a number of seconds.

It's maybe time for bikeshedding! Glyph wrote me in private:
"IMHO, perf_counter should be performance_counter() or
high_precision(); the abbreviation is silly :)"

The time module has other abbreviated names. I don't have a preference
between time.perf_counter() or time.performance_counter().

Solaris provides CLOCK_HIGHRES, "the nonadjustable, high-resolution
clock." If we map CLOCK_xxx names to functions name, we have:

 * CLOCK_MONOTONIC: time.monotonic()
 * CLOCK_HIGHRES: time.highres()

(whereas Windows provides QueryPerformanceCounter -> performance_counter)

I suppose that most people don't care that "resolution" and
"precision" are different things.

Victor