[Python-Dev] Suggested addition to PEP 8 for context managers

Nam Nguyen bitsink at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 18:10:48 CEST 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On Apr 15, 2012, at 01:13 PM, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
>
>>We should publish some advice on creating content managers.
>
> I agree, I'm just not sure PEP 8 is the right place for it.
>
> PEP 8 seems like it is structured more as mechanical guidelines for the look
> and feel of code, not so much for the semantic content of the code.  As such,

I'd like to piggyback this thread for a situtation to consider in PEP 8.

PEP 8 suggests no extra spaces after and before square brackets, and
colons. So code like this is appropriate:

a_list[1:3]

But I find it less readable in the case of:

a_list[pos + 1:-1]

The colon is seemingly lost in the right.

Would it be better to read like below?

a_list[pos + 1 : -1]

Any opinion?

Nam