[Python-Dev] PEP 418: Add monotonic time, performance counter and process time functions

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Apr 18 15:58:16 CEST 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 7:29 PM, Victor Stinner
<victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:

> If anyone is motivated to write a perfect (or at least better) glossary, please do it!

We don't want a perfect glossary, we want one we agree on, that
defines terms consistently with the way they're used in the PEP.
However, what I read in this thread is that the PEP protagonist
doesn't feel qualified or motivated to maintain the glossary, and
others posting that surely we agree on what we're talking about even
though the definitions in the PEP are controversial and at least one
(resolution) is close to meaningless in actual use.  It bothers me
that we are writing code without having agreement about the terms that
define what it's trying to accomplish.  Especially when an important
subset of users who I think are likely to care (viz, the scientific
and engineering community) seems likely to use different definitions.

Has anybody asked people on the scipy channels what they think about all this?

> It already contains a link to the  Wikipedia article "Accuracy_and_precision".

Well, its definitions differ of precision and resolution differ from
the PEP's.  I'm disturbed that the PEP does not remark about this
despite citing it.