[Python-Dev] cpython: Issue #11750: The Windows API functions scattered in the _subprocess and

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Apr 19 19:40:00 CEST 2012

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 10:21:00 -0700
> Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
>> <tshepang at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Even if Aaron submits typo fixes for documentation :)
>> >
>> > I would think that being core developer would be the only thing that
>> > would require trust. As for a random a contributor, their patches are
>> > always reviewed by core developers before going in, so I don't see any
>> > need for trust there. Identity is another matter of course, but no one
>> > even checks if I'm the real Tshepang Lekhonkhobe.
>>
>> I don't think you're a core contributor, right? Even if a core
>> developer reviews the code, it requires a certain level of trust,
>> especially for complex patches.
>
> I would say trust is gained through previous patches, not through
> personal knowledge of the contributor, though.

You don't have to have face-to-face meetings (I never may most Python
contributors face-to-face until many years later, and some I've never
met) but you do gain insight into their personality through the
interaction *around* patches. To me, that counts just as much as the
objective quality of their patches.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)