[Python-Dev] Handling deprecations in the face of PEP 384

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Apr 21 04:16:13 CEST 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 6:59 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> As I clean up Python/import.c and move much of its functionality into
> Lib/imp.py, I am about to run into some stuff that was not kept private to
> the file. Specifically, I have PyImport_GetMagicTag() and NullImporter_Type
> which I would like to chop out and move to Lib/imp.py.
>
> From my reading of PEP 384 that means I would need to at least deprecate
> PyImport_getMagicTag(), correct (assuming I follow through with this; I
> might not bother)? What about NullImporter_Type (it lacks a Py prefix so I
> am not sure if this is considered public or not)?

Yeah, PyImporter_GetMagicTag() looks like a public API, parallel with
PyImporter_GetMagicNumber(). Maybe it was accidentally not documented?
I'm not sure when it was introduced. Should we even deprecate it? I'd
say do the same thing you're doing for GetMagicNumber().

NullImporter_Type looks like it was accidentally not made static, so
don't fret about that.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)