[Python-Dev] Cython for cPickle?

Alexandre Vassalotti alexandre at peadrop.com
Mon Apr 23 01:27:25 CEST 2012

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 6:12 PM, <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

>  So I disagree that we could easily reach the point where it's "close to
>> the
>> speed of what we have." And if we were to attempt this, it would be a
>> multiple months undertaking. I would rather see that time spent on
>> improving pickle than on yet another reimplementation.
>>

> Of course, this being free software, anybody can spend time on whatever
> they
> please, and this should not make anybody feel sad. You just don't get
> merits
> if you work on stuff that nobody cares about.

Yes, of course. I don't want to discourage anyone to investigate this
option—in fact, I would very much like to see myself proven wrong. But, if
I understood Stefan correctly, he is proposing to have a GSoC student to do
the work, to which I would feel uneasy about since we have no idea how
valuable this would be as a contribution.

-- Alexandre