[Python-Dev] What do PyAPI_FUNC & PyAPI_DATA mean?

martin at v.loewis.de martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Apr 24 19:25:09 CEST 2012

Quoting Kristján Valur Jónsson <kristjan at ccpgames.com>:

> Aha, so that is the rationale.  Because the export table on unix is so
> generous, we force ourselves to be generous on windows too?

Yes. If the code compiles and links on Unix, it shall also compile and
link on Windows.

> I did some unix programming back in the day.  IRIX, actually (a Sys
> V derivative).  I'm pretty
> sure we had to explicitly specify our .so exports.  But I might be mistaken.

Maybe on IRIX, probably in a way that predates ELF. In the old days, on Linux,
you had to globally request address space from Linus Torvalds for
shared libraries.
These days are long gone. ELF shared libraries are designed to give the same
experience (roughly) as static libraries, wrt. source compatibility.

Regards,
Martin