[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] peps: Note that ImportError will no longer be raised due to a missing __init__.py

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 08:12:38 CEST 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 2:56 AM, Jim Jewett <jimjjewett at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 18:56, eric.smith wrote:
>
>> +Note that an ImportError will no longer be raised for a directory
>> +lacking an ``__init__.py`` file. Such a directory will now be imported
>> +as a namespace package, whereas in prior Python versions an
>> +ImportError would be raised.
>
> Given that there is no way to modify the __path__ of a namespace
> package (short of restarting python?), *should* it be an error if
> there is exactly one directory?
>
> Or is that just a case of "other tools out there, didn't happen to
> install them"?

Or you installed all of them into the same directory (as distro
packages are likely to do).

Also, a namespace package __path__ is still just a list - quite
amenable to modification after creation. The only thing we're not
currently promising in PEP 420 is a programmatic interface to redo the
scan.

Cheers,
Nick.