[Python-Dev] [RFC] PEP 418: Add monotonic time, performance counter and process time functions

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Sun Apr 29 11:12:41 CEST 2012

On 04/29/2012 02:01 AM, Eric V. Smith wrote:
> On 4/29/2012 4:41 AM, Larry Hastings wrote:
>> I'd prefer an object to a dict, but not a tuple / structseq.  There's no
>> need for the members to be iterable.
> I agree with you, but there's already plenty of precedent for this.
> [...] Iteration for these isn't very useful, but structseq is the handiest
> type we have:

The times, they are a-changin'.  I've been meaning to start whacking the
things which are iterable which really shouldn't be.  Like, who uses
destructuring assignment with the os.stat result anymore?  Puh-leez,
that's so 1996.  That really oughta be deprecated.

Anyway, it'd be swell if we could stop adding new ones.  Maybe we need a
clone of structseq that removes iterability?  (I was thinking, we could
hack structseq so it didn't behave iterably if n_in_sequence was 0.
But, no, it inherits from tuple, such shenanigans are a bad idea.)

//arry/

p.s. MvL gets credit for the original observation, and the suggestion of
deprecating iterability.  As usual I'm standing on somebody else's
shoulders.