[Python-Dev] PEP 366 is unclear about what it specifies

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Tue Aug 7 22:52:30 CEST 2012

Hi,

could someone please add a sentence to PEP 366 that describes the actual
content of the new "__package__" attribute (and thus, the PEP)?

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0366/

I had to read through almost the entire document to be assured that
"__package__" is really supposed to contain a string and I had a hard time
nailing down its content. The only real hint in there is the example, and
even that is ambiguous.

Please change the first paragraph in the "proposed change" section to this:

"""
The major proposed change is the introduction of a new module level
[NEW]string[/NEW] attribute, __package__.[NEW:] It contains the fully
qualified name of the package that the module lives in, without the module
name itself[/NEW]. When it is present, ...
"""

Thanks,

Stefan