[Python-Dev] python 2.7 + https + urlopen = ?

martin at v.loewis.de martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Aug 13 12:40:35 CEST 2012

> How would you feel, if you issued :
>
> import urllib
> urlopen("""https://server.domain.com""").read()
>
> and the command got you data from some other URL without telling
> you! You use firefox, and the site is different than the data you
> got! Same with chrome. Safari. Even IE !
> Cheated? (Well I was mad -- after IE worked).
[...]
> None of them worked! Wow. Then you wonder, whats going on. You poke
> one of the server administrator, and he sends you the logs, and you
> see the problem. The keyword being "SNI".

I believe there is a bug in the HTTP server; it doesn't conform to the
HTTP/1.1 protocol. Even without the client using SNI, you should still
get the right page, since the HTTP Host: header indicates the host you
are trying to contact at this point, not SNI. The SNI is only relevant
for the certificate that the server presents.

Regards,
Martin